Personal Injury Lawyer
Property owners are responsible for the safety of their invitees or guests who enter their property whether it be a commercial establishment, a place of business or a private home.
If property owners are negligent in maintaining the premises the injured party has a legal means of holding them responsible for the harm they suffer.
A trained attorney knows the fundamental threshold question to be answered during a free consultation so to best advise you regarding the pursuit of your claim for damages.
Many slip and falls occur inside businesses like shopping malls or supermarkets, also, in parking lots adjacent to the property or sidewalks and entryways to the establishment in questions.
The lawyer will initiate his representation by determining who is the owner of the property and whether there is a separate company responsible for maintaining it, for example, removing snow during the winter.
He will confirm you were on the property legally, not as a trespasser, either as a guest or invitee. He will decide on the nature of the negligence that contributed to or caused you injury and communicate by letter with the property owner to obtain insurance company information.
Your personal injury lawyer in New Haven County, CT will have access to any experts you may need in proving your case. You may ask, why do I need an expert.
The simple answer is that it depends on what caused the slip and fall. Here are several examples for complete clarity:
- here may be a design defect that is the cause in which case an architectural expert may be required.
- Areas that are prone to slip and falls could be prevented if an anti-slip compound had been applied to the surface. Failure to apply can constitute negligence on the owner’s part.
- Experts are available to testify about the reasonable and inexpensive precautions an owner should take pursuant to fall safety programs and maintenance protocols.
- Others have credentials in carpet inspection, training in uneven carpet and rugs, carpet cleaning, repair and reinstallation, water damage, and extensive experience with hardwood flooring and other surfaces.
- Witnesses with specialized knowledge and hands-on experience are invaluable in the construction and building inspection industries, hotel/resort management, and restaurant and bar operations. There are even those who provide forensic engineering experience in analyzing slip/trip/miss and fall claims.