One of the Best Auto Accident Attorneys – Dekalb County, GA
It is illegal to drink and drive. The consequences of getting behind the wheel after the over consumption of alcohol can have results far more serious than just a DUI. This is especially the case if the drunk driver caused an accident that injured innocent victims on the road. Sometimes, there can be obvious signs that may lead you to believe that the car ahead of you, or next to you is being operated by someone who is under the influence. While there are a number of ways you may be able to protect yourself from such hazards when behind the wheel, it’s still possible to experience an accident at the hands of their negligence. When the worst happens, it is important to connect with one of the best auto accident attorneys in Dekalb County, Georgia right away.
Signs a Driver is Intoxicated
Suspecting that a driver you are sharing the road with may be under the influence can be downright terrifying. The following are signs you may be in the presence of a drunk driver:
- Failure to stay in their lane
- Driving either too fast or too slow
- Having difficulty maintaining a consistent speed
- Swerving all over the road
- Jerking the car around or making sharp movements
- Driving too close to other cars or obstructions near the road
- Driving in the wrong direction
- Driving in the center lane of the road
If you suspect that a driver is under the influence, the following steps could help save lives:
- Keep a safe distance from the driver
- Contact the police
- Give as much information to the dispatcher as possible including your exact location, the make and model of the vehicle, and license plate if you are able to see it.
Reporting a drunk driver can save lives. By doing so you can not only help to protect your own safety but that of others on the road. Should you suffer harm as a result of a drunk driver’s actions, please contact a Dekalb County, GA auto accident attorney immediately.
Tips for Protecting Yourself on the Road
Being able to recognize the signs that there is a drunk driver on the road with you and contacting the police are just a few things you can do to not only protect yourself but stop the drunk driver from harming anyone. Here are some additional things you can do to protect yourself:
- Use your seatbelt. It’s there to protect you.
- Keep a considerable distance from other drivers, especially if you believe you are in the presence of an intoxicated driver.
- Check to make sure no cars are coming at an intersection, even when a light is green.
- Driving late at night, or on holidays can increase the risk of being on the road with a drunk driver.
- Volunteer to be the designated driver.
You can never control someone else’s decisions, however, following the above precautions are a few ways you can reduce the risk of an accident and the injuries you sustain. Although there are many ways of mitigating the risk of an accident, the unexpected can still occur. If it does, know that one of the best auto accident attorneys in Dekalb County, Georgia can help.
Drunk drivers are unpredictable and incredibly dangerous to share the road with. Drunk driving is illegal, however, this doesn’t always stop people from engaging in this type of behavior. If you have suffered in an accident at the hands of a person who was driving under the influence, not only may they face a DUI, they also stand to deal with a number of other consequences. One such consequence can come in the form of a civil case in which Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. – Attorney at Law, one of the best auto accident attorneys in Dekalb County, Georgia, may be able to help you to obtain compensation for the damages you have suffered as a result.