Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycling has become popular over the past few years. People ride for recreation, exercise, and even for transportation. As fun and healthy as cycling can be, it can also be one of the most dangerous activities to engage in because of the high risk of bicycle accidents.
According to national statistics, almost 1,000 people are killed each year in bike accidents. The majority of these crashes occur between 6 pm and 9 pm, accounting for approximately 20 percent of fatalities. Tragically, alcohol plays a major role in these accidents, responsible for 30 percent of bike accident deaths. These statistics also reveal that 70 percent of bicycle accidents happen in heavily populated urban areas.
There are also some common factors regarding the victim themselves. Approximately 80 percent of victims killed are male and the average age of these victims is 45 years of age.
There have been numerous studies conducted to determine the major causes of bike accidents. Many vehicle drivers say they did not see the cyclist victim leading up to the accidents. This seems to be confirmed based on the direction in which the majority of victims are hit – at an angle.
Bike Accident Injuries
With no barrier to protect the rider from the impact of the vehicle hitting them, many bike accident victims suffer severe injuries in crashes that can leave the with permanent disabilities. Some of these injuries are so catastrophic that the victim is unable to survive.
Under each state’s personal injury law, bike accident victims have the legal right to pursue damages for the losses they suffer as a result of their injuries. A bicycle accident lawyer can help victims pursue an accident claim against the at-fault driver. The claim is filed against the driver’s automobile liability insurance policy.
Some of the more common injuries suffered by bike accident victims include:
- Brain and head injuries, including hemorrhages, concussions, contusions, and skull fractures.
- Chest injuries, including rib fractures and punctured lungs
- Organ injuries, including heart perforation, abdomen injuries, liver lacerations, bowel contusions, spleen rupture, and renal contusions
- Facial injuries, including orbital fractures, cornea damage, facial fractures, and dental fractures
- Musculoskeletal injuries, including collarbone and wrist fractures and dislocations
- Soft tissue injuries, including tissue and nerve damage
- Skin injuries, including road rash, lacerations, and contusions
Bike Accident Damages
Victims of bike accidents can pursue legal action to obtain financial compensation for the losses they sustain, including:
- All medical expenses. This includes all surgeries, hospitalizations, doctor visits, physical therapy, medication, and medical equipment.
- Loss of income and benefits if the victim was unable to work while recovering from the accident. This also includes future wages and benefits if they are unable to return to their profession or work at all due to permanent damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Permanent disability
- Loss of life enjoyment
Thank you to our friends at Woron and Dhillon, LLC for their insight into bicycle accidents and bicycle accident claims.