Burn Injury Lawyer Atlanta, GA
According to national statistics, more than 450,000 people suffer serious burn injuries. While some of these injuries will heal quickly, many others will result in long-term or permanent damage to victims’ skin, muscles, nerves, and bones. Serious burn injuries typically require extensive medical care and long-term recovery and rehabilitation. If a victim has suffered a burn injury in an accident caused by another party, they should consult with an Atlanta, Georgia burn injury lawyer to find out what legal recourse they may have against the negligent party.
There a number of different types of accidents that can cause serious burn injuries, including vehicle accidents, work injuries, or fire incidents in the home or at a business. Victims can file personal injury lawsuits to recover damages from the injuries. An Atlanta, GA burn injury lawyer can evaluate a victim’s case to determine what type of financial compensation can be pursued.
For example, many burn injury victims need surgeries, skin grafts, and long-term physical therapy. The recovery is often long, and this means the victim is unable to work, resulting in lost wages and benefits. A burn injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA can also pursue damages for non-economic losses and include those in the personal injury lawsuit. Some of these types of damages can include pain and suffering, emotional anguish, scarring, disfigurement, and more.
If the injury occurred because of an incident at the victim’s workplace, then the Atlanta, GA burn injury lawyer can pursue a workers’ compensation claim for the victim. There are many causes of job-related burn injuries, including exposure to hazardous substances like ammonia or chlorine. These chemical burns can happen if the employer fails to provide the right protective gear for workers. A victim can also suffer severe electric burns.
An Atlanta, GA burn injury lawyer knows that sometimes a work-related injury could be the result of negligence due to a third party and can pursue a third-party claim that often results in greater financial compensation than what is recovered in workers’ compensation cases.
Contact an Atlanta, GA Burn Injury Lawyer for Help
If you or a loved one has suffered a burn injury, contact The Lynch Law Group to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation with a burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA victims recommend. Our legal team will work diligently to get you the financial compensation you deserve. We will determine who the at-fault parties are for your injuries and how much compensation you deserve and will fight to make sure you receive a fair and just award.
A new version of the pressure cooker is the newest kitchen time-saver appliance to show up on many counters across the country, as a burn injury law firm Atlanta, GA can attest. These models are supposedly safer and easier to use. These pots, when working properly, offer a quick alternative to crockpots, cooking food in a fraction of the time it takes to prepare in a conventional manner.
What Can Go Wrong With Using a Pressure Cooker?
A great deal of pressure in the pot produces the heat that cooks the food. This heat cooks the food faster but also creates the potential for the pressure in the container to explode if the appliance is defective.
If the user opens the top of a pressure cooker that is defective, extremely hot, scalding food can splatter on the user because the pressure is released through the lid, causing serious burns to the face, hands, and upper body.
The pressure cooker has a steam valve that needs to be released before opening the lid. There is a safety mechanism that should not allow you to open the lid until the steam has been released. If that mechanism is defective and you open the lid before the pressure has been released through the steam valve, hot food can splatter everywhere.
What Can I Do if I Suffered from Burns Caused by My Pressure Cooker?
Contact a burn injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA to discuss your case. If others have been injured in the same manner from the same type of pressure cooker, there may already be a class-action lawsuit in the works. If not, your Atlanta, GA burn injury lawyer can advise you of the steps to take to recover damages for your injuries.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Ask For?
Burn injuries differ from other types of injuries in that not only are they extraordinarily painful, but that pain can also last for a very long time. In addition, the scarring, disfigurement, plastic surgeries and emotional trauma caused by the accident can endure indefinitely. Damages your burn injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA can ask for include:
- Medical expenses that occurred at the time of the accident
- Ongoing medical expenses including plastic surgery
- Pain and suffering — if the burns have disfigured your face, you will likely be awarded a larger settlement than someone who experienced burns on their abdomen
Damages for emotional pain and suffering result from not only the explosion causing physical damage but the fact that being permanently disfigured caused you to be depressed or embarrassed. The amount of the award will depend on the extent of the injuries, if they are lifelong, any permanent scarring and the emotional state of the victim.
How large of a settlement can I get for my burn injury?
Depending on the nature and severity of your burn injury, you could receive hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. After a thorough review of your case, our burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA can determine its value. It is wholly dependent on the damages you have suffered as a result of the other party’s negligence. Without the insight of an experienced burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA you may not be aware of the full extent of your compensable damages. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to receive money for the following:
- The cost of your medical treatment, until now and into the future. If you should need cosmetic or remediation surgery in the future, those costs can be included in the settlement.
- Your pain and suffering. Burn injuries can be so painful that the victim is unable to function or perform daily activities. Because of someone else’s negligence, they have lost their joy for life and their quality of life is severely diminished. A skilled burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA can determine a compensable sum for what a victim is forced to go through as a result of their injury.
- The earnings you have been unable to earn, and will continue to lose until such time as you can return full-time to your job. If you lose your job while recovering from your injury, or if your injury precludes you from ever returning, those lost wages up until your expected date of retirement can be included in the settlement.
- Modifications to your home. In some cases, the burns that a person suffers cause great difficulty for them to walk and they may need to use a wheelchair as a result. To accommodate wheelchair access into and throughout the home, it may be necessary to install a wheelchair ramp. An interior stairlift may also be needed as well as having the kitchen and bathroom counters lowered and many other changes made inside the home to accommodate the change in mobility.
- Modifications to your vehicle. If the burn injury precludes the use of your legs in order to safely operate a motor vehicle, you may have the option of modifying your existing vehicle to work by using steering wheel controls. Alternately, you may need to purchase a wheelchair accessible van.
Classifying Burn Injuries
There are three types of burn injuries: first-degree, second-degree and third-degree — although the severity of the injury under each category does vary dramatically. Any compensation payment for a burn injury will obviously depend upon the severity of the injury and it’s impact on the victims psychological wellbeing. In some cases, a burn injury can immobilize a victim, either temporarily, or permanently, and also have a massive impact upon their standard of living. To break down each category:
- First-degree burns. This type of injury includes damage the first layer of the skin which may appear red and blotchy, but does not generally create a blister. There may be considerable pain when the injury occurs; but after relatively simple medical treatment, the pain should subside fairly quickly.
- Second-degree burns. These burns are more severe than first degree burns and may have a greater impact on the victim’s well-being. A second degree burn damages the deeper layers of the epidermis and the dermis, likely causing significant redness and blistering. Unfortunately, there may also be issues with fluid loss if more than 10% of the body is affected. Some victims have been known to go into shock, which results in its own medical challenges.
- Third-degree burns. This is the most severe type of burn injury, in which all three layers of the skin are affected. These injuries may also cause issues with the layer of fat and tissue under the skin, leading to severe scarring and potentially requiring skin grafts. This type of injury will take a long time to heal and in most cases, there will be permanent scarring and other issues to consider when claiming compensation.
If you have suffered a burn injury of any degree, the first thing you need to do is seek medical attention. This will ensure prompt treatment and establish important documentation should you pursue a burn injury compensation claim.
When purchasing a pressure cooker, it is important to understand how it works and carefully read and follow instructions. Pressure cookers, by virtue of their name, cook food under extreme pressure and heat. When the product does not operate correctly, accidents can happen. Always seek medical attention as soon as possible after any burn accident. If you feel the product malfunctioned and caused the lid to release undue pressure and splatter hot food on you causing burn injuries, you should contact a burn injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA from The Lynch Law Group They can meet with you and discuss the details of your accident and determine the next steps to take.
Can a burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA make a difference in my case?
Not every burn injury lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia is the same—at The Lynch Law Group we have years of experience pursuing justice for our clients. If you or your loved one suffered a severe burn due to the negligence of another party, either directly or indirectly, you may be eligible to receive a substantial settlement. It is well known that burns can cause extreme pain and in the worst cases, they can also be fatal. Our burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation and learn what The Lynch Law Group can do for you and your family.
To learn more about how The Lynch Law Group burn injury lawyer Atlanta, GA residents trust can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injury, call us today for a free consultation to discuss your case.