A drunk driving accident lawyer serving Atlanta, GA from Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. understands the devastating impact of car accidents caused by a drunk driver. Any accident can be devastating, but when it is the result of another person’s intentional, reckless, or wrongdoing due to alcohol, the situation will be worse. Medical bills may be in the tens of thousands and working might be impossible. The physical pain may be excruciating and the emotions you’re going through could range from confusion, anger, and stress. The fact of the situation is that you need help and as quickly as possible. Georgia law allows you to seek more monetary damages against a drunk driver who caused you accident. Under Georgia law, you are entitled to be made whole for your injuries, pain and suffering, and lost wages. When a drunk driver causes your accident you also get to seek punitive damages, damages to punish the other party (the drunk driver) for their terrible decision to drive under the influence of alcohol and cause your accident.
If you’re ready to get relief from the burdens of an accident caused by a drunk driver, call Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. today. 404-373-7735.
Fighting For Your Settlement
Our team has helped many victims of DUI drivers whose actions caused them to suffer terrible injuries. Andrew has specialized knowledge of lawsuits involving drunk drivers. Our lawyers have literally been certified in the same DUI field sobriety testing as the Police Officer who arrested the drunk driver who hit you.
Andrew R. Lynch P.C. focuses on acquiring substantial settlements for our clients who were injured by drunk drivers who were also under the influence at the time of the accident. Generally speaking with rare exceptions, are expectation in these sorts of cases is to recover the entire insurance policy amount of the drunk driver. DUI drivers are one of the exceptions to the rule that the more serious the injury, the more likely the victim will need a drunk driving lawyer accident lawyer in Atlanta to represent their best interests. All persons hit by a drunk driver should consult with a drunk driving lawyer. Insurance companies will push back against paying out large settlements to you without a lawyer. Georgia law has special protections for those hit by a Drunk driver and increased monetary damages in these lawsuits. Andrew Lynch understands the steps that are necessary to undertake in order to build a case against a drunk driver, find the evidence, and secure fair compensation for your damages. If you were injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, contact Attorney Andrew Lynch to request a free consultation.
Elements of a DUI Personal Injury Case
A number of criteria, referred to by lawyers as legal elements, must be met in order for an injury victim to be eligible to receive a settlement from the person directly responsible for their injury. The challenges of a personal injury case are largely based on the Georgia law and how it applies to the facts of your case. Success is often dependent on having a skilled lawyer representing you, the victim. At Andrew R. Lynch, P.C., our lawyers have the experience and resources necessary for handling even the most complex of cases. Andrew Lynch has over a decade of specialized legal knowledge and experience in the courtrooms of Georgia dealing with Georgia law as it applies to drunk drives and the damages their actions cause innocent people.
Every case is different, but the following criteria must be met:
- A car accident occurred, and the victim’s lawyer can prove that the other driver was responsible, at fault, for causing the accident.
- The car accident resulted in the victim sustaining a serious injury. This is usually done through the lawyer receiving a complete copy of your medical records and consulting the appropriate medical experts to support your case.
- Additional proof, such as police reports that the other driver was DUI and caused the accident, as well as physical evidence at the accident scene can be critical for establishing liability. The victim’s lawyer must provide proof that the other driver is liable and that there is a preponderance of evidence (more likely than not) the other driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs to the point they were not safe to drive on the roads of Georgia.
- The victim’s lawyer must detail their client’s damages and the associated costs of each. Proof of these costs must also be provided. These damages are what is referred to as special damages, damages we can put an exact dollar amount on. Damages such as pain and suffering are more difficult to assign values because of course there are no receipts. These damages under Georgia law are determined by the “enlightened conscience” of your jury. This phrase basically means the amount is what your twelve jurors collectively assign to your case. Testimony from the victim’s professional caregivers, medical providers, including psychologists, friends and family members will be considered by the jury.
- Finally, unlikely almost all other personal injury cases, a victim of a DUI accident may seek punitive damages without any limit against a Drunk Driver. This simply means a jury in your case will not only consider the monetary value of what you went through but also if there should be additional monetary damages beyond what they believe your case is worth to deter the Drunk Driver from making future bad choices like the one that brought your case to court.
- A Georgia drunk driving lawyer accident lawyer will consider the specifics of each case to determine what evidence of damages can be submitted as proof.
After the victim’s lawyer submits the above information to the negligent driver’s insurance carrier or a Georgia Trial Court, the latter will do one of the following:
- Reimburse the victim in full for their damages as specified in the claim. This rarely happens unless the damages are fairly small.
- Offer the victim a settlement amount for less than the claim specifies. This is very common, especially when the damages are significant.
- Deny the claim altogether. Sadly, this is also common, even when the claim is valid.
At Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. are goal is simple, we want to get the best monetary outcome for you personally. When we (the lawyer and you) collectively believe the insurance company has undervalued your case, we sue. We will take the case to court.
Common Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our lawyers handle a broad range of drunk driving and personal injury cases, and have successfully recovered millions in damages. We have more experience with DUI accident cases than almost all law firms in Georgia. Attorney Andrew Lynch has specialized training in DUI cases and prior to working with DUI victim’s worked in a specialized DUI Treatment Court within the DeKalb County Court System.
Technology continues to make vehicles safer; however, every day in Georgia there are inevitably accidents. An error on the part of the driver is often the cause of the accident, especially if that person is driving under the influence of alcohol. An Atlanta, GA drunk driving accident lawyer at our firm is well versed in these types of accidents, the insurance companies involved, and how to maximize damages. Common car accidents caused by drunk driving cases include:
- Hit and run accidents
- Fatal accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Uninsured motorist claims
- Rideshare accidents (Lyft and Uber)
- Rear end crashes
- Improper Lane Change wrecks
Riding a bicycle is increasing in metro Atlanta, but this has also increased the number of accidents. Our firm is committed to holding drunk drivers responsible for their negligent actions whenever they cause anyone a serious injury. When a cyclist is injured the injuries are almost always severe. Once a drunk driving accident lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia is able to prove that a drunk driver caused your bicycle to crash, we will be ready to show pursue a better outcome with the drunk driver’s insurance company whether in pre-suit settlement, mediation, or trial. Bike accident cases involve different facts, but include:
- Turning vehicles
- Pulling out of a driveway
- Lane sharing
- Wrongful death
Choose Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. to Represent You
You do not have to be the victim of negligence by a drunk driver. By law, if negligence caused, or partly caused an illness or injury you can recover money damages for what you have experienced. Every case is different and will require a unique approach in order to ensure all of your rights and options are protected. You should only choose the best legal representation on your side. To schedule a consultation with a GA drunk driving accident lawyer that Atlanta, call Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. today!
Too Many Drunk Driving Accidents Are Caused by Intoxicated Teens
Driving under the influence of alcohol (or any intoxicating substance) significantly increases a motorist’s risk for being involved in car accidents and causing injuries. The legal standard in Georgia is did the alcohol cause the driver to be less safe than they otherwise would have been if sober. This is particularly true for teen drivers, who are more likely to be involved in serious and potentially fatal collisions than any other age group. To help raise awareness of the very real dangers, Georgia police have been aggressively working on outreach efforts that focus on the consequences of drunk driving and the effects that can happen when a collision occurs. If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a teen drunk driver, you’re all too aware of how life-altering such collisions can be. Navigating the aftermath of a drunk driving accident can be complex, particularly when the individual who caused the accident is young. You might be concerned that pursuing legal action could ruin this individual’s future. Know that civil actions (lawsuits) are different than the criminal punishment of the drunk driver. Speaking with an experienced Atlanta, GA drunk driving accident lawyer at the firm of Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. can help to clarify your rights and options. You probably can secure monetary damages regardless of whether you’re eager to hold the drunk driver criminally responsible for the harm you’ve suffered or if you are generally wary of legal action.
Teens and Drunk Driving
The Atlanta based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that car accidents are a leading cause of death among teenagers, and the use of alcohol is one of the leading contributing causes. In roughly a quarter of all car accidents impacting those between the ages of 15 and 20, the driver had been drinking in the time period before the accident. One out of every five had a blood alcohol content (BAC) of at least .08 blood-alcohol percent. Georgia DUI law sets the legal limit for under 21-year-old drivers at .02 blood alcohol percent.
Alcohol abuse is a significant problem among young people, who are more inclined to engage in binge drinking than their older counterparts. Due to their age, size, and emotional development, the effects of alcohol on teenagers tends to be more exaggerated. Our firm’s Atlanta, GA drunk driving accident lawyer understands how to build a case in light of these facts. Similarly, our firm is experienced in negotiating with insurance companies in light of the knowledge that a drunk driver caused the accident in question. As you likely know, drunk driving can have the following effects on driving behavior:
- Decreased inhibitions, making reckless driving behaviors, such as running stop signs and racing other vehicles, more likely.
- Lack of concentration, causing them to be more easily distracted by passengers and electronic devices.
- Lack of coordination, which can impair their ability to perform basic tasks associated with driving.
- Poor judgment, making them more likely to go over the speed limit and to not wear seat belts.
Peer pressure is another area in which teens are at greater risk than adults. Teens are less likely to confront a friend who may have had too much to drink. They are also more inclined to just ‘go along with the crowd’, getting into the car with someone who is obviously drunk even though they know it is dangerous.
Local Outreach Efforts
Teen drivers pose a risk to themselves, as well as to other drivers on the road. To combat the problems, local police departments across Georgia conduct DUI checkpoints (roadblocks) and outreach efforts with local high schools. Many departments use a DUI crash trailer, which contains an actual vehicle involved in a fatal DUI accident. This allows students to see the real damages these accidents can cause. It is an image law enforcement hopes will stick with them the next time they think of drinking and getting behind the wheel. It doesn’t always help to know that the newest generation of drivers is being educated on this subject when you’ve already been harmed by one. However, some accident victims take comfort in the knowledge that local officials are committed to combatting this issue. Either way, know that our Atlanta, GA drunk driving accident lawyer is hear to listen to your story and help advise you of your options according to your unique circumstances.
Reach Out to Us Today for Help
Accidents caused by drunk drivers are devastating events, leaving victims and their loved ones struggling to recover both physically and emotionally. If you or someone you care about is involved in this type of accident, contact an experienced Atlanta, GA drunk driving accident lawyer for help. Our firm looks forward to speaking with you… no matter how you’re feeling about the process of filing legal action in the wake of your accident.
We can help. Contact Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. at 404-373-7735 today.