Philips CPAP Lawsuit
Are you a sleep apnea sufferer who has been wondering if you are eligible to file a Philips CPAP lawsuit? The massive recall of millions of devices that Philips Respironics issued has resulted in thousands of lawsuits from victims who had adverse medical issues after using the defective machines. If you believe you are one of those victims, contact the Law Offices Of Andrew Lynch to find out what legal options may be available to you.
Sleep Apnea and Treatments
It is estimated that more than 18 million people in the United States – one out of every five adult – suffers from sleep apnea. The condition causes a person’s breathing to stop and restart multiple times while they are sleeping. This leaves the body unable to get enough oxygen. Not only does this cause issues of poor-quality sleep, but sufferers also can develop diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, liver disease, and other conditions.
There are two types of sleep apnea that a person can be diagnosed with. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) occurs when the throat muscles relax, creating a block to the flow of air into the lungs. The second type is central sleep apnea (CSA) which occurs when the brain fails to send the right signals to the muscles that control breathing.
One of the most common treatments prescribed for people with sleep apnea are Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP) machines. CPAP machines are used for people with obstructive sleep apnea and BiPap machines are used for those who have been diagnosed with central sleep apnea.
Philips Respironics is one of the major manufacturers of these machines and have manufactured millions of these devices for more than a decade. In June 2021, the company recalled four million CPAP and BiPAP machines because of a major – and dangerous – defect.
The company used a polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) foam as a way to reduce the vibrations the machines make, making them operate more quietly. However, it has been discovered that this foam breaks down over time, causing a high risk of the person using the machine inhaling or swallowing debris. The serious and potentially fatal conditions that machine users have been exposed to include:
- Acute inhalation injury
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
- Inflammation of the lungs with fluid buildup
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung tissue scarring
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Respiratory failure
- Heart disease
- Heart failure
- Breast cancer
- Lung cancer
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Autoimmune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.)
- Chronic headaches
- Irritation of the eyes
- Irritation of the nose
- Irritation of the skin
- Hypersensitivity to certain gasses or chemicals
Philips CPAP Lawsuits
If you used a CPAP or BiPAP machine manufactured by Philips Respironics between the years 2009 through 2021 and have suffered health issues associated with that use, you may be able to take legal action through a Philips CPAP lawsuit. If you have suffered exposure to the deadly chemicals in these machines – such as dimethyl diazene, diethylene glycol, toluene diisocyanate, and toluene diamine – causing potentially chronic or fatal conditions – the legal team at the Law Offices Of Andrew Lynch will fight diligently to get you the financial compensation you may be entitled to. There are multiple lawsuits pending, with new claims being filed on a regular basis because of the massive amount of potential victims these dangerous products may have caused harm to.
Find Out Your Legal Rights
In addition to the numerous victims who have been diagnosed with medical issues connected to the Phillips machines, there are an overwhelming number of potential victims who may be unaware that they are walking around with an undiagnosed medical condition caused by their sleep apnea machines. If you have been using one of these machines or have used one in the past, do not delay in contacting the Law Offices Of Andrew Lynch to find out more about your potential Philips CPAP lawsuit in Georgia.
Compensation For Your Philips CPAP Lawsuit
Filing a Philips CPAP lawsuit can be pursued if you have suffered harm due to a defective CPAP machine manufactured by Philips Respironics, as a Georgia Philips CPAP attorney knows. If you file a Philips CPAP lawsuit and your case is successful, you may be eligible for various types of compensation, depending on the specific circumstances of your situation. To learn more about how you can be successful with your lawsuit, get in touch with The Law Offices Of Andrew Lynch. Here are some potential types of compensation you could receive:
- Medical Expenses: If your use of the defective Philips CPAP machine has led to health complications, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses. This includes costs associated with doctor visits, hospital stays, medications, diagnostic tests, and any other medical treatments required to address the harm caused by the faulty device.
- Rehabilitation Costs: Some individuals may require rehabilitation or physical therapy as a result of health issues caused by the defective CPAP machine. Compensation can cover expenses related to these services, helping you regain functionality and mobility.
- Lost Wages and Income: If your health complications have forced you to miss work or have led to a decreased ability to earn income, you may be eligible to receive compensation for lost wages and potential loss of future earnings. This can encompass both past income you were unable to earn and future earnings you are projected to lose.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for pain and suffering aims to address the physical and emotional distress you’ve experienced due to the harm caused by the defective CPAP machine. This compensation can encompass not only the physical pain but also the psychological and emotional toll on your quality of life.
- Emotional Distress: Defective medical devices can cause significant emotional distress, anxiety, and depression. Compensation for emotional distress seeks to address the psychological impact of the harm you’ve suffered.
- Loss of Consortium: If your relationship with your spouse or family members has been adversely affected due to the health issues caused by the defective CPAP machine, your Georgia Philips CPAP attorney knows that you may seek compensation for the loss of companionship, support, and love from your loved ones.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, if it can be proven that the manufacturer’s actions were particularly egregious, negligent, or intentionally harmful, punitive damages might be awarded. These damages are meant to punish the defendant and deter similar behavior in the future.
- Legal Fees and Costs: Depending on the terms of your arrangement with your attorney, compensation may cover legal fees and costs associated with filing and pursuing the Philips CPAP lawsuit. These can include attorney fees, court filing fees, expert witness fees, and any other expenses incurred during the legal process.
It’s important to note that the specific compensation you may receive will depend on factors such as the severity of your injuries, the strength of your case, and the jurisdiction in which the lawsuit is filed. If you believe you have been harmed by a defective Philips CPAP machine, it’s recommended to consult with an experienced attorney who specializes in product liability or personal injury cases. For help with this, contact The Law Offices Of Andrew Lynch to see what our Georgia Philips CPAP attorney can do for you and your case.