Auto Accident Lawyer Georgia
If you were hurt in an auto accident caused by a negligent driver, you should get in touch with an auto accident lawyer in Georgia. You may be entitled to receive compensation. A lawyer can help you pursue a timely claim and protect your legal rights.
Common Mistakes to Avoid After an Auto Accident
An auto accident can definitely leave you in a state of shock. However, what you do immediately after an accident impacts your compensation. Here are some common mistakes you should avoid:
- Admitting Guilt: After an auto accident, you may admit guilt without realizing it. For example, if you say that you’re sorry, it could make it look like you’re partially to blame for the accident. Don’t do this. If the insurance company finds out that you admitted guilt, it could negatively impact your case.
- Forgetting to Gather Evidence: If you’re physically able to, you should obtain as much evidence as possible from the accident scene. Take photos of the vehicles involved in the accident and skid marks on the road. If you have visible injuries, you should take photos of those as well. If there are witnesses present at the accident scene, you should obtain their names and contact information.
- Waiting to See a Doctor: If you don’t have visible injuries or don’t feel much pain, you might not think it’s necessary to see a doctor right away. However, some car accident injuries, like whiplash and concussions, don’t always present symptoms right away. Therefore, you should get checked out by a doctor immediately. Additionally, if you don’t seek medical help immediately, the negligent party’s insurance company could argue that you aren’t truly hurt.
- Not Speaking to a Lawyer Promptly: If you plan to file an accident claim, know that there are deadlines you have to adhere to. In Georgia, you have two years to file a car accident claim. That’s why you should discuss your case with an auto accident lawyer in Georgia as soon as possible.
- Accepting the Insurance Company’s First Settlement Offer: When your medical bills are piling up, you may be anxious to get a settlement as soon as possible. However, you shouldn’t accept the first settlement the insurance company offers you. It likely isn’t enough to cover all of your damages. Wait for your lawyer to work out a fair settlement with the insurance company.
- Failing to Follow Your Doctor’s Instructions: After examining your injuries, your doctor will advise the best course of treatment. Whether your doctor suggests physical therapy or bedrest, it’s important to follow his or her orders. If the insurance company finds out that you aren’t listening to your doctor’s instructions, it could negatively affect your case.