Personal Injury Attorney

Just because you are up against the city or county, doesn’t mean you have to back down at all. If you were injured because of the negligence of a city worker, an attorney could help you successfully sue the government. The process is more complicated than another might be, but it is possible. If you tripped on an uneven sidewalk at the police station or were hit by a city dump truck, you may have a good case for personal injury.

Filing a Notice of Claim

Some states require you to file a Notice of Claim. This must be done before you file the lawsuit. This claim will outline the details of your injury, how it all happened, where it occurred, when it occurred, what kind of damages you’re seeking and contact information for yourself and anyone else involved. Your attorney can help you file this claim, as well as help you understand when the deadlines are for filing. If you miss the deadline, your case could get dismissed all together.

Providing Proof 

Just like any other personal injury case, you will have to offer proof of four things. They include:

  1. The city or county had a duty to provide a certain amount of care.
  2. The city or county breached their duty of care.
  3. The breach of care was the actual cause of the injury.
  4. You actually do have an injury.

Collecting evidence will be one of the best things you can do to provide proof to the court. Take pictures of uneven sidewalks and accident scenes. Collect medical statements and bills from your doctor. Record witness interviews, even short statements. Your attorney can collect everything into one file to present to the court in your favor.

Obstacles You Could Face

There are certain obstacles you could face when suing a city or county. Some states offer immunity to cities and their employees for negligent actions that are viewed as necessary. For example, a police officer who unknowingly hits a pedestrian during a high speed chase may be immune from a personal injury case. That same officer could get sued for driver erratically for no reason whatsoever while on duty.

Obstacles besides immunity could include those concerned with proving a duty of care. If the city or county does not require city officials to perform certain maintenance tasks, and the lack thereof causes an injury, it may not be cause for a case.

Allowing Your Attorney to Assist Your Case

One of the best ways to receive compensation for what you feel you deserve is by contacting a personal injury attorney. Whether you’re dealing with the city or county, a legal professional could have the legal knowledge it requires to win your case. Contact a personal injury lawyer in Trenton, NJ today.



Thanks to Davis & Brusca for their insight into personal injury claims and suing a city or county.