If you have been injured in an accident and are looking to seek compensation, you may feel overwhelmed with the lawyer specialties. Chances are, if you were injured in an accident, a Chicago personal injury lawyer will be best positioned to represent your case. If you are not sure, here are 10 cases personal injury lawyers deal with on a regular basis:
- Motor Vehicle Accident. Personal injury lawyers can often advise victims of motor-vehicle accidents, whether they were operating another motor vehicle such as a car or motorcycle or if they were a pedestrian.
- Medical Malpractice. If you were injured during a medical procedure either by a doctor’s negligence, lack of informed consent or some other form of unnecessary treatment, a personal injury lawyer may be able to assist in your case.
- Product Liability. You may have heard the story about people’s smartphones exploding; this is an example of product liability. The incidents do not have to be as extreme, but any injury caused by using a defective product could qualify for a personal injury lawsuit.
- Slip and Fall Accidents. Slip and fall accidents are included under the umbrella of personal injury law. These kinds of accidents can happen either on public or private property, if the conditions where the fall occurred were extremely dangerous. If you think your situation qualifies, a personal injury lawyer can help you determine if you have a case.
- Wrongful Death. Typically this applies to family members. If you had a family member die due to the negligence of another you could be entitled to compensation. Wrongful death cases can span many scenarios, but an example of a potential wrongful death case is if your loved one was killed by a drunk driver.
- Workplace Accident. Workplace accidents are tricky because each state has different rules about whether or not you can sue the employer or for how much, but no matter which state you live in, a personal injury lawyer will be able to advise you on the laws in your state and how to get the most compensation.
- Premises Liability. Similar to slip and fall, these cases can be on public or private property and typically result in injury due to unsafe conditions. For instance, premises liability could apply to a gas station that has a persistent leak that is not fixed and leads to a fire.
- Nursing Home Abuse. Nursing home abuse can include neglect of your loved one. If you suspect your loved one is being physically, mentally, or verbally abused, you may have a case.
- Airplane or Boating Accidents. Whether commercially owned or privately owned, if you were injured in an accident on an airplane or boat, there may be some liability for the owner if they were not adhering to the necessary safety standards.
- Animal Bites. The most common bites are dog bites, but any kind of animal can qualify. Even if the animal was on the leash, you could have a case.
If you think your accident could fit into one of these categories, or perhaps one that is not listed but it was still a result of someone else’s negligence, you may benefit from a free case review with Disparti Law Group.