If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you should consult a bicycle accident lawyer in Decatur, GA. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your losses. A lawyer can help you pursue a lawsuit against the negligent party and protect your legal rights.
Common Myths About Bicycle Accidents
There are many misconceptions surrounding bicycle accidents that may prevent victims from recovering fair compensation. Here are some common myths that you shouldn’t believe.
- If You Didn’t Wear a Helmet, You Can’t Pursue Compensation: It’s certainly a good idea to wear a helmet when you’re riding a bike. However, not wearing one won’t disqualify you from seeking compensation in an accident.
- Riding a Bicycle on the Sidewalk Is Safer Than Riding in the Street: This isn’t true at all. Riding on the sidewalk is actually far more dangerous than riding in the street. For one thing, you can hit pedestrians with your bicycle if you ride on the sidewalk. Also, motorists often don’t expect bicyclists to be on the sidewalk, so they don’t look for them when backing out of driveways.
- The Driver’s Insurance Company Will Offer Fair Compensation: If it’s clear that the motorist caused the accident, you might think that his or her insurance company will pay you what you deserve. However, you must remember that insurance companies care about their bottom line first and will stop at nothing to offer you the lowest settlement possible. That’s why it’s important to have a skilled bicycle accident lawyer in Decatur, GA on your side.
- If You’re Partially Responsible, You’re Not Eligible for Compensation: Many bicyclists who think they’re partially at fault for an accident involving a motor vehicle assume they can’t receive compensation. However, if you were less at fault for the accident than the motorist, you can still pursue compensation.
- Most of These Accidents Are Caused By Bicyclists: While some bicycle and vehicle accidents are the bicyclist’s fault, it’s not usually the case. Most of the accidents are caused by motorists who didn’t watch out for bicyclists.
What to Do if You Were Involved in a Bicycle Accident
If you suffered injuries in a bicycle accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Your health is of the utmost importance. Then, you should discuss your case with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer. He or she can help you gather the necessary evidence for your case and negotiate with the insurance company.
Schedule a consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer in Decatur, GA today.